|Shepard Boulevard Elementary School: Student Travel Mode Map (2009-2010 School Year)|
|This map of the Shepard Boulevard Elementary School attendance area (click on the map to zoom in) was created by our third through fifth graders. In May, 2010, they surveyed each student about whether he/she normally travels to school by car, schoolbus, bicycle, or walking. Then, they placed a sticker (orange for car, yellow for schoolbus, and green for walking) at each student’s home address on the map.|
|We have made some interesting observations about the map:
- Some (but not all) students living within 0.5 mile walk to school.
- Very few students bicycle to school.
- Almost 100% of students living more than 1 mile from school travel by car or schoolbus.
- A few students live far from school but walk by using the “Staging Post Walking School Bus” which meets every morning at two locations close – for more info., call Tia Felts, 529-1148.
- A lot of students for whom bus service is provided travel by car.
- A lot of students from the same neighborhoods travel by car.
|These observations raise several questions:
- Could we encourage neighborhood children to walk by identifying safer walking routes?
- Could we ease traffic congestion at school by expanding the Staging Post Walking School Bus?
- What would it take to encourage more children to bicycle to school?
- What would it take to encourage parents to put their children on the schoolbus instead of driving?
- What would it take to encourage parents to carpool?
|Please email JoNetta Weaver to let us know what observations and questions you have.|